Friday, July 31, 2009

Two More Days to Go, I Hope!

We're in Fort Worth this evening, after the day that represented probably the shortest drive of our journey (just from Texarkana to here). We rolled into Dallas around lunchtime and went to the West End area, which Mike had fond memories of from his days at EPA; as it turns out, however, all the retail stores in the former cracker building are now defunct. The restaurants are still in the area.

Best of all is a WONDERFUL new zoo/aquarium called the Dallas World Aquarium. It's an indoor rainforest on multiple levels. We saw birds in free flight (including a Sadie but I didn't get a good picture), some toucans, spoonbills and other things; and lots of other creatures: sharks, manatees, little monkeys that look like lions (I forget what they are really called). Best of all was a giant octopus that was being fed at the moment we were watching the tank. Mike was taking about a 10-minute movie but I finally told him to knock it off because nobody, not even on YouTube, was going to be interested in a 10-minute movie of an octopus eating!

It was definitely the best aquarium I have ever been to, including the Monterey Bay one.

After the Aquarium we went to the Ripley museum. No matter how many times I go to one of those I still enjoy going to those. I used to like to read the Ripley books when I was a kid, along with the Book of Lists and the World Book Encyclopedia. My favorite thing at the Ripley museum was the two-headed baby, or, if you like, the one-bodied babies. I like to ponder how much of a person you have to have in order to count as two separate people.

Fort Worth has a pretty happening downtown, with a ton of restaurants and at least three theaters. We had barbecue, and I wish we could have seen an improv comedy show but unfortunately it was for 18 and up only.

Tomorrow is Mike's birthday, and we hope to make Odessa by evening!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What happened? Did you make it? Don't keep us in suspense.