Thursday, July 30, 2009

Graceland: More Tasteful than I Thought

I've watched a few episodes of MTV Cribs in my time, and Elvis's spread was much smaller and less garish than the digs of many a rocker or rapper. Yes, he had a fake fur "jungle" room, and a pool room completely decked out in shirred curtain fabric, nd a TV room with three televisions in the wall, and his own raquetball court, but anyone who had that many gold records gets cut a little slack.

After Memphis came Little Rock and the architecturally interesting Clinton Presidential Library, suspended over the Arkansas River. IT was a fun exercise in personality cult construction with an orientation video so moving that it could bring burly men to tears. My favorite aspect of the library was the lifesized oval office. It made me want to celebrate with a good cigar.

Tonight we had dinner at another Roadfood special, Bryce's cafeteria in Texarkana, TX. Tomorrow, vast stretches of my least favorite state in the union await!

No comments: