Sunday, July 26, 2009

Beginning Our Cross-Country Journey

We will be setting out this morning for our cross-country journey of 2500-odd miles, or as Mapquest likes to estimate, 39 hours, over the next eight days. We're not going to be going exactly five hours each day, however. Today's goal is to reach Roanoke, VA or thereabouts. I got up this morning and packed the car myself while Mike was still asleep. Normally he likes to do this because he has the kind of engineer mind that is good at recognizing patterns. But I knew I could do it faster. :)

After the trunk was packed he asked me if I had checked to see whether there was room in the spare tire compartment! Um, no, I didn't look, we are not putting anything in there.

I wrapped some little presents for both of my travelling companions, so they will have something new to open most days of the journey and it will be a little less boring. My mom did that when my sister and I were 5 and 3 and we drove down to Florida as a family (although that was such a complete disaster that she and my sister and I flew back up to NJ again and my dad drove the car home by himself!). Evan got some books and MIke got a book and some new CDs.

3 comments:

Susannah said...

And you're off :) I've done that same thing, the little wrapped gifts, many a time. Only for the kiddos though, poor DH. Mine just got an iPod Touch for his bday, btw, and I'm sure he'd love to compare notes on how to make it into the coolest device ever. Do you have Skype on yours? Did you pay for the new OS on it? Looking forward to blog updates; I'll have to figure out how to become a follower. Post photos too! (That's where having the phone would make it easier.)

Unknown said...

I thought your title was lattes willing when I first saw it. As in, you'll get through this trip, lattes willing.

Go Democrats said...

@Suz: No, my ipod Touch doesn't have skype; I only barely discovered skype for the computer on this trip. Haven't paid for the new OS yet either, but my BiL says it's totally worth it just for the ability to be able to cut and paste!

@Dawn: Willing is a lot nicer than swilling, but I admit it's "swilling" because lattedrinkingliberal was taken when I signed up for this blogger account!